Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, September 24, 2010

Signature: Patterns in Gond Art

This is our last day for Tara Books week and the last book I will be talking about is the beautiful Signature: Patterns in Gond Art, which is just stunning. There are way too many artists to list that were involved with this book, but it was edited and put together by Gita Wolf, Bhajju Shyam and Jonathan Yamakami... a few names we have seen quite a bit over the past week!

This book was the very first book I looked through from Tara Books. On first glance through the book, I thought the intricate patterns were actually needlework art and couldn't believe it when I figured out that they were paintings and drawings. Incredible is the only word to describe it. Through this book, I learned so much about Gond tribal art, such as each artist featured in this book has created their own unique and distinctive design that have particular meanings. The designs are so distinctive that you once you are familiar with an artists' work, you can tell their art apart from others just based on the design. That's why this book is called Signature, since the main focus of the book is the intricate designs in each of the images. And that is essentially what each of the designs are to the artist - a signature.

This book is put together so well and beautifully. I love that the entire image is minimal and the main focus of the book is the design in the art. Sort of similar to pointillism, and yet so much more unique than just dots on a page.

To accompany each image and design, the artist of each image has included what the design or image means to them and how they came up with it. Most of the images seem inspired by sentimental and simple things in their lives as well as other forms of art or crafts like weaving, which could possibly be why I mistook some of the art for some sort of needlepoint at first.

Some of the artists who are featured in the book have been around for a while and are a bit more well-known such as Durga Bai, whose work we saw with The Churki-Burki Book of Rhyme and others, to lesser known emerging teenage artists making their way into the art world.

For any art collector or anyone who is just interested in the world or art in general, this is a definite must-have. It's another new release from Tara Books and you will be kicking yourself if you miss out on it. Hop on over to the site and check it out. I would like to thank Tara Books SO much for introducing me to their amazing artists and works. Make sure you visit the site because they don't just sell books, but stationery, art prints and cards as well. The cards are all handmade and the stationery journals called Flukebooks, are a completely unique art experience of their own. Seriously, each journal is completely unique and there is not another one like it anywhere in the world... and they are all VERY reasonably priced, so please... support a completely worthy art cause and visit them right now. Tara Books... you are amazing.

10 comments:

  1. Can't see the pictures! What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)

    Found a link to your blog on deviantart :)
    Cool blog! Keep it up!

    I can't see the pictures either :(

    Greetings,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. We work closely with these Gond artists and promote their art around the world. Do have a look at our website. www.mustarts.com. The artits are truly fabulous and their unique work deserves world wide recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a great post.I liked it and i will share it with others too.

    Cummins N14 Turbocharger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chevrolet W7500 Turbo

    This is a better-quality article as they all are. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is really inspiring. But i can't see picture.
    online bildbearbeitung

    ReplyDelete
  7. After 30 days of doing the Px90 Workout P90X extreme workout it��s time to write a review of P90X and the results I have achieved using this fitness system.

    I started the program on February 3rd and at that time my weight was 185 and my body fat percentage of 25 P90x Workout.7% Beats by Dre. About six weeks prior to starting P90X I had cleaned up my diet and made a consistent effort to eliminate refined sugars, high fat food, and other junk Beats by Dre Headphones. In addition to the diet, I was back on the fitness regime of my own design that helped me drop 20 pounds when I was first married Beats by Dre Earphones. It was resistance work one day, cardio the next with one day off Px90. In those six weeks, I dropped 10 pounds. The last couple of weeks before I switched to P90X, I would put the DVD��s in and watch them as I rode my stationary bike for an hour. I thought I was ready for P90X��boy was I wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pattern..thanks for sharing this. I think it requires knowledge to made this type of masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perkenalkan, saya dari tim kumpulbagi. Saya ingin tau, apakah kiranya anda berencana untuk mengoleksi files menggunakan hosting yang baru?
    Jika ya, silahkan kunjungi website ini www.kumpulbagi.com untuk info selengkapnya.

    Di sana anda bisa dengan bebas share dan mendowload foto-foto keluarga dan trip, music, video, filem dll dalam jumlah dan waktu yang tidak terbatas, setelah registrasi terlebih dahulu. Gratis :)

    ReplyDelete