Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Churki-Burki Book of Rhyme

Carrying on with the Tara Books week, we have the next book on my list The Churki-Burki Book of Rhyme written by Gita Wolf and drawn by Durga Bai.

This is a new release by Tara Books and I was very honoured to receive a copy of this book. This book has a fun story for readers of all ages, but personally for me, as much as I enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the art even more. The story follows Churki and Burki, two sisters who love to rhyme as they explore, play and help others in their village. The story is a really fun concept that is based on the artist, Durga Bai's childhood in her village of Patangahr (click on Durga Bai's name to learn a little bit more about her!).

The extraordinary thing about this book is, again, the stunning artwork shown in it. What starts off as simple drawings, turn into masterpieces with the beautiful designs in each of the images. Very much like pointillism, but instead of just simple dots of colour, the images are filled in with their very own signature design and then are covered by a solid colour. There's no shading or any shadowing or any technical bits that much of western art seems consumed with, but rather just beautiful and straight to the point drawings to convey a wonderful story.

Even without the words, you would be able to tell a story of your own interpretation and I think that's what makes this book (and all of the Gond tribal art I've encountered so far) so remarkable, unique and generally stunning.

1 comment:

  1. After 30 days of doing the Px90 Workout P90X extreme workout it��s time to write a review of P90X and the results I have achieved using this fitness system.

    I started the program on February 3rd and at that time my weight was 185 and my body fat percentage of 25 P90x Workout.7% Beats by Dre. About six weeks prior to starting P90X I had cleaned up my diet and made a consistent effort to eliminate refined sugars, high fat food, and other junk Beats by Dre Headphones. In addition to the diet, I was back on the fitness regime of my own design that helped me drop 20 pounds when I was first married Beats by Dre Earphones. It was resistance work one day, cardio the next with one day off Px90. In those six weeks, I dropped 10 pounds. The last couple of weeks before I switched to P90X, I would put the DVD��s in and watch them as I rode my stationary bike for an hour. I thought I was ready for P90X��boy was I wrong.

    ReplyDelete