Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Daria Hlazatova

The funky and fun Daria Hlazatova visits Art Libs today and answers our questions and shares her art!

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Well, the easiest part is drawing and the hardest is NOT drawing.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
There are certainly things that influenced me as an illustrator in the first place which are books and theatre. I owe a lot to Carroll, Wilde, Tolkien, Pinter, Gaiman and Wodehouse. Actually inspiration is all around us. But of course there are certain things for certain people. It's like the medicine you take to battle creative block, tiredness or lack of ideas. My best medicine would be travelling. Seeing and experiencing something new is a sure thing to be inspired. Otherwise, it's my imagination. It's an easy thing for me to get carried away with it and then drawing/illustrating comes like a flow.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as
deviantART, to aspiring artists?

I have recently discovered bluecanvas community and I think it's a great place to stay motivated and understand modern art. Being (although virtually) around such talented people who can critisize or encourage is a great thing for any artist. I also enjoy all the contests such communities have to offer - everything there is done to share rather than to show off, which is excellent, another way for self-improvement.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever
received on a piece of art?

There was quite a bunch! The funniest being the one when my grandmother mistook a lady for a dog in my greeting card. I guess the lady's hat was rather extravagant ;)

What advice can you offer to other artists?
The same that I try not to forget myself: work! Working hard will get you anywhere you want (well.. depending on what you do). Working hard brings luck, i'm sure of that. I really love Fellini's quote, "You exist in what you do." This is so true for the artists. Unless you are truly devoted to what you do, unless you work hard and don't pay attention when others discourage you, you'll succeed.





Please make sure to check out her web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment