Art Libs on Twitter

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cryptcrawler

If you haven't noticed, I've been playing catch-up again with a bunch of artists who should have been featured FOREVER ago on the blog. Cryptcrawler is one of those artists. AMAZING art that HAS to be seen. Check it out. It's completely all kinds of awesome.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
>> You know this is more difficult to answer than I thought it would be!
I find that it changes for each piece. Each work has its own personality and way it wants to be dealt with; sometimes a composition will come very fluidly, but other times i'll have to fight to get a conversation started.
I don't have a set workflow like a lot of other guys and gals, I usually make it up as I go along - its almost embarrassing, hee hee. I have to keep it intuitive and fun; ive found that trying to approach this with a rigid formula not only makes things harder but also strips the life from an idea.
It's tough to say whats "easier" or "harder" because so much of my work is based off of captalising off of happy mistakes. I always sit down with an open mind and ive been doing it long enough to know that when I get stuck or frustrated it's because im not seeing whats there, im seeing what I want to see and trying to make it click. So many times i've gotten so frustrated that I go ahead and destroy the thing im trying to make work and then suddenly the entire thing opens up and something happens that I never planned on but snaps the whole thing into place.

You can really have some amazing experiences when your willing to get yourself out of the way and to see frustration as an opportunity to learn.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
>> Another tough question!
I think i'd have to say "Containment Breach: Sub-Level 5". At the time I really wanted to do a horror/sci-fi piece and incorporate a mad-science theme and that 1st person camcorder idea. I tried so many different compositions for months but never got what I wanted, so I worked on other things for a while. Then I came back with a fresh head and things snapped into place. I feel like I tapped into the "80's horror movie vibe" that I wanted to capture initially.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
>> The pure enthusiasm for art itself.
DA not only has incredibly talented artists at every turn but is also populated by so many passionate, supportive and responsive art-lovers; I adore the community and have met some people though it that ive connected deeply with. It's a special place.
It's where i've gotten my start, so it'll always be the 1st place I post new work.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
>>Ohhh god! Hah! So many!
I gotta say im really blessed to have the people that I do who come by to comment!
Some extremely funny guys and gals come by. I've had everything from people telling me they hated me because they liked something so much, to someone saying they wanted to snuggle up with one of my monsters!
But I'd have to say that one of the most memorable ones was this guy who came by and left a few comments on "Containment Breach: Sub-Level 5" in all caps, saying something about the frightned scientists in the foreground to the effect of " THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT DOING YOUR JOB..SOMEONE IS GONNA GET THIER HEAD POPPED LIKE A CHERRY!"
It was just so ridiculous and over the top, my wife thought it utterly hysterical as well.

I gotta say I really feel privileged to have support that I do, I always get so excited and nervous before I post something new because I really want to please those who are interested in my work.






Please make sure to check out his deviantART page! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment