Art Libs on Twitter

Monday, August 9, 2010

Caleigh Illerbrun

Hey everyone! So AGAIN, apologies for being away and busy and unable to update the blog. I'm trying to find the time to do it, but my life has just become hectic... no worries though; I have no intention of ending the blog, so just keep checking back and if I haven't posted anything in a while... drop me a line and tell me to smarten up! Today, the amazingly talented Caleigh Illerbrun is gracing us with her art! Amazing? Definitely! Enjoy what she has to say and check out more of her work on her web site!

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
For me the hardest part is knowing when something is crap and accepting that fact and moving on to something else. Sometimes I will just keep working on something, trying to solve it, but really there is no hope and my time would be better spent starting something new. The easiest part is getting started. I work full time (non-art related), so all week I am thinking of ideas and when it comes to the weekend I almost have too much I want to accomplish.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I'm not really sure. I think generally I paint/draw what I want for myself. For instance, I really wanted a bunch of owl paintings to go on my shelf, so I painted them. The only problem with this is it's hard to let go and sell paintings when I've done them for myself. I'm also inspired by other's art. There is this one painting that I found on the internet years ago. I have no idea who painted it or what it is called, but it has inspired many of my own paintings which you would never have guessed as they are completely different.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
DA is a funny one for me. I think its a great site, obviously, as I use it. But if you don't have the time to spend hours on it networking, its hard to have you're art seen by others. I imagine if I was connected with others with similar interests and styles, it would be really useful for feedback, but I haven't collected many friends on there yet.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Okay I will quote my cousin (via Facebook) "Jeeeezzze! I'm in love with pretty much every single one of these paintings! I'd bet you could seduce Matthew McConaughey with them... not that you'd necessarily ever want to do that... I just find they have a distinct surfer feel. For the record, I'd totally try to seduce M.M. with your paintings."

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Look at art! Look at art all the time. I think the best way to get better at what you do is to look at what others are doing, amateur or professional, you can always learn something from someone else.





Please make sure to check out her web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. You are a talented lady, Caleigh. And I agree, weekends aren't long enough to implement a week's worth of ideas. Here's to a 4-day work week!

    ReplyDelete