Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, March 19, 2010

Tom Ashmore

Tom Ashmore is known for his work with ducks. Tom first started drawing when he was only 11 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the extreme pressure of being a child prodigy sadly got to him and he had a hedonistic breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own dangleberry! Tom found extraordinary inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his toilet for all the teddy bears to see! Tom eventually got married to God and they remain together sexually in their bondage place with their imaginary children. Tom would like to thank Louis Daguerre, pants man and the Cinematic Orchestra for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Easiest? Clicking "upload".
Hardest? Predicting the future. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a runaway train. I don't strategise in any way - my work just comes from whatever I'm inspired by or feel strongly about at the time… and it's always changing. I'm a documentary photographer today and tomorrow I'll be in the woods taking abstract photographs of the evening light through some trees. And out of that, there is a pressure to commit to a particular style or genre, or, in other words, to conform to cultural norms. I resist it, and that makes me happy and keeps me inspired - and if that means being less successful, so be it. I'm not in it for the money.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I don't, it finds me. And sometimes I have to wait a long time… but it always shows its head eventually. What I love though is the continuous chain of inspiration that we're all a part of. That a persons work has been inspired by someone, which in turn inspires me to create something that inspires someone else. That is such a positive and beautiful thing about art and its influence on people's lives. There are many warped perceptions of what beauty is in this world but that's as good an example as any I can think of.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
It's an unbelievably useful tool if you use it correctly and with the right intentions. I used to spend hours scouring the most popular deviations, analyzing and critiquing what it was about them that made them pleasing to look at. I'd then apply it to my own work, with sometimes good and sometimes bad results. You should always seek a critical analysis of your work and open yourself to criticism, and deviantart is fantastic for that. Because there are practically no repercussions, people can say what they like. I think as long as it's done constructively then its a fantastic new opportunity of the modern artistic environment.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Out of 256 deviations it difficult to remember but there is one puzzling comment I received recently on this image that I still haven't got my head around. It's a picture of a guy eating a KFC meal on a bench in the high street. Some has written, "Your doing it wrong." I have no idea what they meant and I suppose I could have asked but I guess I'm just not really that bothered. It won't keep me awake at night…

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Do what makes you happy - screw everything else.





Please make sure to check out his deviantART page and his web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment