Art Libs on Twitter

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Jose Alves da Silva

Jose Alves da Silva is known for his work with noodles. Jose first started drawing when he was only 14 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the greasy pressure of being a child prodigy quickly got to him and he had a clumsy breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own nipple! Jose found beautiful inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his kitchen for all the rabbits to see! Jose eventually got married to Oprah and they remain together slowly in their church with their 2 children. Jose would like to thank Gandhi, Snow White and Picasso for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I would say that the hardest part is to come up with an idea worth of turning it into an image. An image should always be special or tell something to the viewer, otherwise it is just one more image. In my case, I can take as much as 2 months working on a piece, it would be a great waste of time if I didn't try to make something worth that time investment. A great idea can have impact even if the technique is not super. The story behind the image is the X factor that most people forget.

For me, the easiest part of the process is working on characters. I love doing it so much that I forget everything else while I am doing it. There are technical difficulties, but the pleasure largely surpasses the difficulties.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
It is not very clear to me where my ideas come from.
I don't go to specific places looking for ideas but it is true that everyday I appreciate the art from many people. I am always visiting the main internet art forums and everyday I find pieces that amaze me. One of the sites that always manages to surprise me is CGHub. The average quality of the artists that post there is so high that it turns each visit into a humbling experience.
I have also noticed that by seeing good art regularly our standards keep rising and our mental library keeps growing. This will eventually turn us into better artists as we become a lot more demanding regarding our art.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
I have to say that each Art Forum has its own characteristics. Some are better for art promotion (like CGSociety or CGHub)and other are more friendly, like DeviantArt.
DeviantArt has a huge community that includes all skill levels and age groups. It is a great place to learn to lose the fear of getting your work exposed, which can be a problem when you start painting. The community is very friendly, so it is a great place to boost your confidence levels. Also, it is easy to get feedback which is very helpful. We look at an image for far too long while we work on it and sometimes a pair of fresh eyes can point you the obvious. Personally, I feel that DeviantArt is my cosy forum, where I feel at home and among friends.
As you get more serious about art you should consider also posting on other Forums like CGHub or CGSociety, but get prepared for being ignored or for some harsh comments. It is all part of the life lasting evolution as an artist.
It has never been easier to get feedback, so listen to everyone, think about their comments and apply what makes sense to you.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
For some strange reason I draw rabbits more often than other artists. People have told me that they are really anxious to see what I will come up with at Easter. :P
One of the strangest situations happened in DeviantArt with my piece "Mouse Love". In this image we can see two mice tails coming out of an open locker and forming an heart shape, suggesting that the mice are making love inside the locker. One guy kept asking questions about what the mice were doing inside the locker. I have replied with some witty answers, smilies and jokes but the guy didn't seem to understand what was happening. After some replies I decided to click on the guy's icon to see his DeviantArt page to understand why he was so weird. I found out that the guy was 10 years old... This is part of DeviantArt's magic :)

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Being an artist is not something you choose, is something that you NEED to be. I feel asphyxiated if I don't create anything for too long. If you feel that way... you are an artist, so keep practicing, never stop drawing, look at the work from the best artists, try to express your individuality in each piece. Technique is something that you can acquire, the passion has got to come from within.

Never stop pursuing your dream, the worst thing that can happen is to reach the end of your life, look back and find that you have never tried to be what you always wanted to be.





Please make sure to check out his deviantART page! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment