Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, March 5, 2010

Jenyffer Maria

Jenyffer Maria is known for her work with kitty printed band-aids. Jen first started drawing when she was only 28 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the buttonish pressure of being a child prodigy accidentally got to her and she had a cherried breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own funny bone! Jen found polypainted inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her love room for all the lollipops to see! Jen eventually got married to Minky and they remain together inquisitively in their Twinkle Factory with their 8 children. Jen would like to thank Albert Einstein, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
As long as I have all my materials I need to make I'm content. It's when that ink pen starts running low on its juice. I will use up to it's last drop because I rather be at home while I'm in my zone than at the store buying more pens. It has happened before though and it's rough, ha. I'm also really disorganized and careless with what I do, for example the drawings that are currently scattered (some even ruined) all over my floor and that I try to step over in the middle of the night when I need to use the bathroom. I'm working that that!

Where and how do you find inspiration?
Absolutely everywhere. Mostly though from people and music. I'm mostly inspired by people with intricate or exaggerated features. Features not necessarily found appealing to society, I find to be perfection. It's boring to doodle the "beautiful" or the "average", show me your big noses and sunken eyes, your disproportionate breasts and huge thighs! And music, I love all of it. I'm not just saying that, I truly do appreciate all music. There are so many lyrics, melodies out there to fit any mood I many be in and that all goes with my process. I've currently had Marina & the Diamonds on repeat, I highly recommend it. My muse at the moment is the GAGA of all ladies! Lady Gaga has to be the force that is most in touch with what I want to do and am doing right now. But yeah inspiration to me really comes from all over the place whether it be from the mexican telenovela I've invested myself emotionally with or a simple trip to the grocery store. Being alive, basically -- breathing.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
The internet is truly the tool to use these days if you want to share with the world your art. It has been for me, anyway. I've been blessed with one of the most inspiring and beautiful art communities I have ever been a part of for the past two years now, HitRECord.org. A place that appreciates the act of hitting that red RECording button and collaborating with one another (anybody!) on an international basis. That's what art is, a huge cluster fuck of collaborative inspiration. We recently screened at the Sundance Film Festival and one of the pieces we presented was "Morgan M. Morgansen's Date With Destiny", never in my wildest thoughts/dreams did I think I'd ever have illustrations in a a short film being screened in front of an audience. HitRECord's given me a sense of direction and such incredible amounts of motivation and confidence. Something that was hard to come by as I scrubbed toilets and made beds for a living once. I'm making art, doing what I love on a global level with people from all over the world, if that isn't awesome I don't know what is.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I usually take those comments as compliments so nothing really sticks out. It's exciting to hear interpretations of certain pieces that I've done with an actual idea in mind but that no one will ever get from looking at it but me. Listening to the stories that evolve from others just by looking at a piece, whether it be negative or positive, is the best. I'm crude and foul myself as a person so for something to weird me out, it's tough.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Have fun. That's really it, just have fun doing what you do. If it's no longer fun, take a break. Be selfish, not in a greedy or rude manner but in the terms of setting time for yourself. Explore the world, get lost in a new city, talk to strangers, go to the movies by yourself. Also, do not be afraid to "do what's been done already" because c'mon, who the fuck cares and what hasn't? Remix the hell out of the old and the new, with others in mind make it your own! Real art has no boundaries, it's the ultimate form of expression. As long as you make it your own and you're having fun! Have a blast! ♥





Please make sure to check out her web site and her work on hitRECord! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment