Art Libs on Twitter

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Miles Johnston

Miles Johnston is known for his work with crabs. Miles first started drawing when he was only 17 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the scrawny pressure of being a child prodigy excitedly got to him and he had a crusty breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own nipple! Miles found spongy inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his basement for all the kettles to see! Miles eventually got married to Hannibal Lecter and they remain together hastily in their shack with their 2 children. Miles would like to thank Genghis Khan, Solid Snake and Rembrant for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
It's hard to pinpoint what bits are definitively the easiest and hardest parts as I'm sure it changes a lot from person to person. Personally I find that nothing is particularly easy haha. I'm not saying it is a struggle, but it is the challenge of striving to improve constantly that keeps art feeling fresh and fun. For me the hardest bit is balancing it with a personal life and school work, though I love having so much going on.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I find searching for new artists and keeping myself surrounded by other's incredible artwork keeps me motivated. Seeing what other people can produce makes me wanna paint all the time. I think it's important not to limit yourself to one particular genre of art, as it can start to feel stale. I know it sounds cliche, but I also draw a lot of inspiration simply from the things I see in day to day life. The way someplace might be lit or an interesting lighting effect can all spark the idea for a painting.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
Online art communities can be a great way to motivate younger artists, make connections and start great online friendships. They also provide means for people without access to quality art teaching to be pushed in the right direction. I'm almost certain without the help of conceptart.org's community, I would not be where I am now with my art.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Hmm, most of the strangest messages I ever received turned out to be my friends from school messing with me haha. One of them made a couple of fake accounts to try to convince me he was some kind of psycho admirer, which seemed pretty hilarious at the time.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
I don't feel that qualified to give out advice, so I guess the best thing I can offer is to loose your ego. One of the most limiting things for artistic growth is being too precious about your own art, and refusing to take critisism properly. I'm not saying everyone should hate their own stuff, in fact it's very important to be proud of improvement and pleased with good images. However, the only way to get better is to realise what you are doing wrong. In a way realising you suck, is the first step towards not sucking :)





Please make sure to check out his web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment