Art Libs on Twitter

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lunchbag Art

Derek is known for his work with trekkies. Derek first started drawing when he was only .04 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the foxy pressure of being a child prodigy gelatinously got to him and he had a kafkaesque breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own eyestalks! Derek found callypygian inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his recording studio for all the pope hats to see! Derek eventually got married to Ryan Seacrest and they remain together succulently in their roller disco with their 7 children. Derek would like to thank Blackbeard the Pirate, Sonic the Hedgehog and Freddie Mercury for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Easiest: actually doing the work. Hardest: starting it.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
Usually it's from things that I enjoyed when I was a kid. Thanks to Youtube, I can show my kids clips from movies I liked. I can read them books I enjoyed. Generally anything I can do to point out how wretched today's kid stuff is, and how marvelous my stuff was when I was their age.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
Art is now available to interested parties without benefit of a publisher. That's huge. I can't imagine how the art scene will be in ten years, but it won't be anything like what we had when I was in college. We were repeatedly told that museum showings were the most important step in making an art career. Ha!

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
My daughter has often decided that my work needs improvement. For example, I made her a Star Wars Battledroid drawing, the robots that say "Roger Roger." She decided it would look better as a pink female robot, and added red hair with long braids.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Practice has helped me a great deal. I've done 340 lunch bags, and each one is pretty quick. Doing 340 of anything will help you get better, even if it's just a quick drawing. I've been doing these bags for a year now; I can't wait to see how my stuff looks in another year.





Please make sure to check out his blog (it's such a cool concept)! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, I love the lunchbag art. 340 is a lot, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... Ya I know... I'm so happy I happened to find his blog. You should definitely check it out... his project makes me happy! lol

    ReplyDelete