Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jeremy Vickery

Jeremy Vickery is known for his work with pencils. Jeremy first started drawing when he was only 485,222 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the hilarious pressure of being a child prodigy frantically got to him and he had a delighted breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own belly button! Jeremy found reflective inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his garage for all the armadillos to see! Jeremy eventually got married to Gandalf and they remain together sparingly in the Sydney Opera House with their 3,000,000,005 children. Jeremy would like to thank Moses, Peewee Herman and Harry Houdini for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Hmmm, good question. I think the hardest part is being satisfied with my end result. I fall out of love with my creations very quickly, thinking I could've done so much better. The initial sketch to decide where I want to go with an art piece is both difficult, but also the most fulfilling. I really enjoy that first burst of creativity. Then finalizing the painting is the slow part. Did I even answer your question?

Where and how do you find inspiration?
Everywhere! I find the most inspiration from films, and then from nature and the world around me. And I find I also do a bunch of online research before a project too, to study sytles, color and light. But as for art inspiration, I feel almost overwhelmed by inspiration and can never paint fast enough to get the ideas out of my head.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
I think that places like Deviant Art are both wonderful and dangerous. It's a great place to connect with other artists who have similar passions and goals, which can give you encouragement, advice and critiques. This is especially important for people who do not have an artistic environment around where they live. But.... there's always a but.... online forums can also be an excuse for artists to avoid creating. I know more people who spend more time talking about art than creating it, than those who spend more time creating it than talking about it. Don't let online forums be a crutch to feel like your an artist, when really you need to go spend time creating.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Ha! I got a note from a guy who wanted my permission to have my art piece tattooed on his back. It was a bit creepy and flattering all in one..... I gave him permission.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Create! Create! Create! I heard a quote once that said "We all have a million bad drawings in us, so we might as well get them out now so we can get to the good ones". And I totally agree. Don't be discouraged with your work, just keep creating and observing and trying new things. As long as you spend lots of time practicing and seeking out ways to improve... you will improve. Keep creating!





Please make sure to check out his web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. First image has a Pixar-ish feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya I know, it's really cool! Very Monsters Inc.-ish or something! :)

    ReplyDelete