Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, February 26, 2010

Jack Teagle

Jack Teagle is known for his work with badgers. Jack first started drawing when he was only 8 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the miserable pressure of being a child prodigy badly got to him and he had a sweaty breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own coccyx! Jack found agitated inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his pantry for all the toasters to see! Jack eventually got married to Nelson Mandela and they remain together deliberately in the Guggenheim with their 22,000 children. Jack would like to thank Socrates, Andy Kaufman and Cy Twombly for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The hardest probably the initial planning. Colour is very important to me in my work, so I have to get it exactly right in my work. Once I'm past the planning stage, I can get through work very quickly.

Easiest is coming up with ideas in the first place, I just have them coming thick and fast constantly, so I started to keep a journal just for ideas so when I have some spare time or a job, I can look back and use what I've put down in my book to help out.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I find my inspiration everywhere, it can be from what people say, something I've seen or read, or other artist's work. I love old action figures, comics and trashy pop culture. The faded vintage colours of these items influence my work a lot. I'm quite a sarcastic person, and I always try to work that into my work. Dry, or bland humour is very important to me. I love giving a feeling of awkwardness or unease to my work, I think that's because growing up I was such an awkward person!

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
I think it's great, the internet has really opened up work no one would otherwise see to this generation. It's like having a constant gallery exhibition on open to the entire world. I don't think much of my work would have been seen without the exsistence of the internet. I'm quite partial to Flickr at the moment which has opened up my work to a different audience. Altogether I think the networks and communities are a great source of inspiration and offer a great platform to a lot of creatives.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Be yourself. Try to block out any trend, anyhting that's fashionable, and just be yourself. You will produce your best work when stop trying to work like someone else, and just focus on being yourself.





Please make sure to check out his web site and his blog! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could print that picture with Batman and Ultraman and Darth Vader, etc, etc on a t-shirt. I would be so freakin cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh well you can always ask permission from the artist, as long as you don't sell them, or you can see if he has any for sale! :)

    ReplyDelete