Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Daniel Landerman

Daniel Landerman is known for his work with jeans. Daniel first started drawing when he was only 6 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the elephantine pressure of being a child prodigy literally got to him and he had a stellar breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own throat! Daniel found red inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his studio for all the pencils to see! Daniel eventually got married to Dakota “Rawhide” Tayler and they remain together quickly in the Taj Mahal with their 3 children. Daniel would like to thank Thomas Edison, Joss Whedon and John Singer Sargent for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Easy? If there are easy parts well, nobody told me ;P The easiest part of the process is the moment when I can sit back and admire my handy work. Also the research. That is always a fun-filled adventure on which I get to learn all kinds of things I didn't know before. I love teaching myself and the research phase gives me the opportunity to do that, often with a paycheck involved. Getting paid to learn? Easy and fun.

The hardest part is that middle portion. You know, the stuff between the research and the admiration of my handy work? Yeah, that whole drawing and painting part. Mind you, just because I say it's the hardest, does not mean it isn't the most fun. I love a good challenge, even when it frustrates me I love knowing that I can surmount any obstacle given enough time... or not time, as is often the case since I work a lot in the advertising world. But anyone that says the drawing/painting phase is easy isn't pushing themselves to get better with every piece. An image may be comprised of thousands of marks, and each one has to be placed deliberately, properly and within context of every other mark. That's a hell of a task. *deep breath. Bring it on.

Where and how do your find inspiration?
Everywhere. Seriously. Of course it depends on what I'm doing but I pull a lot from fashion, from books I've read, people I see, stories I hear. I'm a huge fan of people-watching. I walk around old town Pasadena with my headphones on and study everyone around me. People fascinate me and probably inspire me more than anything else. That's why most of my work tends to be character oriented.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as CGHub and ConceptArt.org, to aspiring artists?
The significance is that aspiring artists now have direct access to some amazing contemporary artwork, as well as the chance to ask direct questions of professionals they might look up to. There is an amazing, instantaneous learning process that can occur via online communities such as CGHub, ConceptArt.org etc. The part that saddens me is need for instantaneous fulfillment which drives young artists to jump headlong into digital art before learning the fundamentals of analogue such as oil painting, watercolor, charcoal and so on. However, I would never dispute the benefits of these communities. Just look at the amazing works being created by these kids, some of them only 16 or 17 years old. It's pretty amazing to see... and it keeps me on my toes!

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
The strangest comment was when a professional challenged me to an art duel after I critiqued one of their paintings. It was a valid critique. The perspective was way off and that was that. They got upset and challenged me. I figured a fellow professional would know the difference between a crit and a challenge. I didn't accept the "duel". It was silly.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Stay strong. Art is NOT for the feint of heart. We put our souls into this stuff and then throw it out into the world to be trampled on, loved, admired, discarded or disdained. It's not easy, but it IS rewarding.

Don't let a few people's opinions sway you.

Be resolute and set goals for yourself and line 'em up and shoot 'em down.

Don't push anything away because you never know where inspiration will come from.

Lastly, make a concerted effort to learn from everything you do. Art relates to life relates to cooking relates to storytelling relates to relationships etc. See the bigger picture for what the interconnected web that it is.





Please make sure to check out On the D/L! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment