Art Libs on Twitter

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cynthia Sheppard

Cynthia Sheppard is known for her work with banana tragedies. Cynthia first started drawing when she was only 4,000 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the fastidious pressure of being a child prodigy objectively got to her and she had a handsome breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own ankle! Cynthia found explosive inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her parlour for all the fence posts to see! Cynthia eventually got married to Genghis Khan and they remain together hesitantly in their Cremlin with their 42 children. Cynthia would like to thank Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and NC Wyeth for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I'd have to say the easiest part for me is starting or finishing a project and the hardest part is everything in between.

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I like having someone feeding me ideas, which is one of the main reasons I turned to commercial art, but when I'm not relying on an art director's or client's concept, I typically look to my dreams. A lot of people comment on how often certain symbols (like water and the color red) show up in my work, and that's purely because I dream about those things a lot, and feel they deserve to be brought to life in artwork.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
Group interaction can do a world of good for your approach to the artistic process, creativity and inspiration. DeviantArt has always been a little overwhelming for me, since it's such a large community, but I've recently started using Google Wave to collaborate with a small select group other professional illustrators on a daily basis. We share pieces at every stage, from thumbnails to finished work, and get tons of great feedback. Sometimes that can mean the difference between a good piece and a great, portfolio-worthy piece.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Ooh, that's a tough one. Last week someone was looking at a drawing of an orc warrior I did and asked, "so, did you model for this?" I don't have a large collection of funny comments, but I am always amused when people look at my portfolio and then ask if I do kid's books. Some of them even qualify that with, "could you do something like your current stuff, but without all the blood and nudity?" What kind of kids are you raising?! While I *do* take on a child-oriented project every once in a while I certainly wouldn't hire me for that. ;)

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Practice, practice, practice! Draw or paint every day if you can. Art is a tough thing to turn into a career but not impossible if you apply yourself and work really hard. And if you're not trying to make a living with it, just have fun.





Please make sure to check out her web site! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment