Art Libs on Twitter

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Alex Remy

Alex Remy is known for her work with zebras. Alex first started drawing when she was only 13 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the feisty pressure of being a child prodigy joyfully got to her and she had an intense breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own spleen! Alex found red inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her kitchen for all the shoes to see! Alex eventually got married to Andrew Bird and they remain together energetically in their museum with their 4 children. Alex would like to thank Queen Victoria, Eddie Izzard and Dave McKean for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The technical process come pretty naturally to me, so I'd say that's the easiest (although on the flipside, it's been a challenge to loosen up and give myself more creative freedom). As far as the hardest parts go, it changes over time. In the beginning it was difficult because I was changing careers, and it was hard to transition from the very left-brained, confrontational world of mental health, to the very right-brained, introspective world of creativity. Since then I've been working on developing my own style, and finding ways to share my art with the world--and both of those come with their own difficulties!

Where and how do you find inspiration?
I'm really inspired by small details that are easy to ignore or pass by--hidden treasures and unexpected moments. Animals and people can be full of surprises so they make great subjects, but I also like finding weird or unusual things when I go for city walks, hikes, or do research online. Other than that, I really like giving myself personal challenges, and messing around with mediums to see what they're capable of.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities, such as deviantART, to aspiring artists?
I think a sense of artistic community is incredibly important, and not always easy to come by "in the real world". For starters, it really helps to be around other people who have similar values, goals and experiences, since at times society doesn't really know how to respond to artists on a basic level. But more importantly, artists are visual creatures, so looking at different styles and approaches to art can be the best way to trigger a chain reaction of inspiration. Basically, I think seeing what other people are up to is an awesome way to figure out what you like, don't like, and what you want to "say" to the world.

What is the weirdest, strangest or funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I don't know if I would call this strange, but most recently I was told a portrait I'd drawn was "eerie". I thought that was kind of cool--people usually don't have a whole lot of specific feedback when they look at my art, so that was one of the more unusual comments I've received.

What advice can you offer to other artists?
Work hard, control your ego, and be patient with yourself. Give yourself room to make "mistakes", because mistakes are the best way to learn (and sometimes those "mistakes" turn into solid gold ideas). Oh, and ignore people who tell you art isn't important--because it is. Art and creativity are what people turn to no matter what's going on, and ESPECIALLY when times are tough. Art inspires people and brings them joy, which means it's one of the most meaningful things you can do. So keep creating, no matter what, and do it as much as you can.




Please make sure to check out his art blog and check out his photography blog! And as always, please respect the art and the artist. Art Libs has gained permission from the artists to feature their work on our site. If you would like to use any of the art for ANY reason, you MUST obtain your own permission. Please do not steal or reproduce any art. Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment