Art Libs on Twitter

Monday, January 11, 2010

Adam Gorham

Adam Gorham is known for his work with cigars. Adam first started drawing when he was only 11 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the gigantic pressure of being a child prodigy waffled him and he had a rusty breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own neck! Adam found spooky inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his crawlspace for all the bears to see! Adam eventually got married to Mark Twain and they remain together huffed in their chicken coop with their 8 children. Adam would like to thank Dirk Gently, Stanley Kubrick and Spartacus for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The hardest part of my process is getting started. For me, starting a new project is very similar to starting a brand new day. Some mornings I spring to life with vigor, and other mornings I prefer staying in bed. However, being an independent comic artist, keeping a project afloat is also very daunting after you factor in the many necessary things life requires of you. Nothing slows down progress on a comic like a day job, or a new house, or a newborn. I'm juggling all three at the moment--which means there's one or two things I'm seriously behind on!

Which is your favourite piece and why?
For a long time 'Opportunity' was easily my favourite piece because it came out exactly how I envisioned it. I was attending Sheridan College for Art Fundamentals at the time, and I drew that instead of completing assignments. Oddly enough, I felt more accomplished for completing it than actually finishing my school work. Nowadays it's hard to pick favourites. Looking at my own work is like viewing pictures of myself; some look nicer than others, but they're all me at different stages in life and simply must be accepted regardless. I'm proud of all the current comic stuff I'm doing with different creators because I'm giving it all I've got. I also recently painted a portrait of Aldo Raine that's rather fetching.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
What's always appealed to me about Deviant Art is how open it is to anyone needing an outlet for their creativity. When you're starting out it's important to have some place where you can be seen and hopefully remembered. My own website would be ideal, but DA is quick and it's easy to gain an audience with the communities on there. Oh, and it's free! DA also stands apart from other social networking sites because it really focuses on the work of a member over the member themselves. Which is great. There's less ego and pageantry, and therefore more appreciation for skill and creativity.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I've been fortunate to have many people be generous with compliments on my work. However, nobody has ever told me something I found outrageous. What does come to mind though is one strange fellow back in August of this year. I was debuting The Vampire Conspiracy at FanExpo when he came to my booth and bought a book. He looked unsure of everything and regarded our set-up with what I interpreted as suspicion. When signing his copy I asked to whom I could make it out to and he took a few seconds thinking it over and finally told me "Um, it's okay. You don't have to pretend you know me. We're not friends." It totally caught me off guard. He reacted as if I tried selling him tupperware. It was the only time I felt like my art actually burdened somebody.






Please make sure to check out his deviantART page! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yaaa! Adam is a FANTASTIC artist! He actually just put out a comic... it's amazing, you should look it up, it's called the Vampire Conspiracy!

    ReplyDelete