Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, December 4, 2009

Gregg Gordon

Gregg Gordon is known for his work with monkeys. Gregg first started drawing when he was only 77 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the spectacular pressure of being a child prodigy happily got to him and he had a slimy breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own neck! Gregg found pointy inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his concert hall for all the grilled cheese sandwiches to see! Gregg eventually got married to Joe Strummer and they remain together lightly in their barn with their 88 children. Gregg would like to thank Albert Einstein, Christopher Walken and Salvador Dali for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I guess I would say the hardest part for me is the beginning. Coming up with the idea, layout, style of the piece.
Once I have that down, I can get into the project, sketch up the ideas, then take them further into final ink and color.
If I have the idea and the sketch done, and I am happy with it, the final drawing comes easiest and is the most fun.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
I am not sure I have one favorite piece, but if I had to choose, I would say I am really happy with all the posters that I have created for the band, Ween. I am a huge fan, and their lyrics really give me a lot of great imagery and freedom to work with. Each poster I have done for them has tons of references to their songs and makes it fun for me to draw and the Ween fans to find them all.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities to inspiring artists?
I probably would not have the career that I do today without the internet and one online community in particular. I had been creating rock art and merchandise for a few years, when I was approached by this website called Gigposters. (www.gigposters.com) This is one of the best sites on the internet, where you can see tons of rock posters for every band you can imagine. I am on there everyday. All the artists post their latest work, talk in forums, promote other projects, and more. It is just one big community that keeps getting bigger. With this site, there have been many Flatstock Poster events planned all over the world and has really helped out so many artists. And Clay, the man behind the site actually runs the whole thing from Canada, like this site!

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I am not sure if it is weird, strange or funny, but it was unexpected. I have worked with many bands, and they all have different requests and images that fit their music and look. I had worked with Ozzy Osbourne for the first 3 years of his Ozzfest Tour. I did a tour poster for the 2nd year and received a letter from a priest who was so offended by it. He not only wrote this very long letter, it was detailed, pointing out every element of the piece and why it was wrong and offensive. I thought it was perfect for Ozzy and so did he. It was never my intention to offend, just give the artist I am working with what I think he and the fans would appreciate. And they did.





Please make sure to check out his web site! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment