Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Schmutzie

Schmutzie is known for her work with birdies. Schmutzie first started drawing when she was only 14 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the slow pressure of being a child surreptitiously got to her and she had a wistful breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own knuckle! Schmutzie found diligent inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her kitchen for all the decals to see! Schmutzie eventually got married to a police officer and they remain together ruefully in their parkade with their 2 children. Schmutzie would like to thank Mussolini, Craig Ferguson and Basquiat for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The easiest part of the artistic process is dreaming. I can dream and dream and dream of things to write and create, but this dreaming is what leads me to what is always the hardest part, realizing the dream. Don't get me wrong. The hardest part is also the part that is the most fun, too, but finding an expression of my dream that will be able to translate itself to another person is always a stretch.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
"Ralphine the Dead Kitty" is my favourite piece of late, because he was a step away from writing, and he let my brain wander in new ways. To me, all art is storytelling, and he helped me to realize that my storytelling is less limited by media than I once thought.

How do you feel online communities, blogs and personal web sites have helped artists grow?
I have no idea where my creative pursuits would be without my online community. Before I found the world of weblogs, I had spent years allowing my creativity to stagnate up in my brain, and somehow the social aspect of the blogging world and the communities it formed for me managed to turn on the tap of my expression.

Aside from that, online communities offer so much to artists. I have received feedback, I've found an audience for my work that I would not have otherwise, and I receive so much inspiration from witnessing the works of others. The online world has definitely broadened my creative experience.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I can't think of one in particular, but I think that's because all comments on the things I create are a bit peculiar, being that they come from a place very squarely outside my experience with the piece in question. The one thing that always strikes me as most humorous is when someone expresses a deep sense of offense at something I've created, as though my creation is a direct assault, when the truth is that they choose to be offended. I do not take into account every kind of offense out there, and I couldn't even if I tried, so when someone brings their offense to me as though I have done this specifically to them as an individual, I feel bad that that person lacks so much perspective and hope they get better soon.





Please make sure to check out her web site! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment