Art Libs on Twitter

Monday, October 26, 2009

Mike Calero

Mike Calero is known for his work with astronauts. Mike first started drawing when he was only 54 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the glimmering pressure of being a child prodigy boldly got to him and he had a silver breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own bicep! Mike found smoldering inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his dining hall for all the helicopters to see! Mike eventually got married to a fox and they remain together profoundly in their Delorean with their 4 children. Mike would like to thank Julius Caesar, Sean Connery and koala bears for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
Claiming your an artist is easy... being an artist not so much. Actually the easy part for me is coming up with the concept and look of a new series. It's all the drawing and hours of artistic labor that don't agree with me.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
My favorite collection of work is the comic book I finished drawing recently called the Lore. Its' the best work I've ever put together. However my favorite single piece is this painting i did like five years ago. It's a close up of the face of some guy lying on the ground... nothing super amazing concept wise. The character is in black and white but the background is this really loud pink color. I've had offers from people who wanted to buy it but I just can't bring myself to sell the thing. Although I'm sure if someone offered me crazy money I'd have it gift wrapped and ready to go.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
Well I'll answer this the best I can seeing as how I strongly dislike deviantART. There is no rational reason why I don't like it. I got a deviantART account when I was like 15 and in ten years I've never used the thing... I think it's the name that really bugs me. I will say I've had to use it to find talent for projects so it has it's uses for sure.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I used to sell a lot of live art pieces at shows years ago and now I'll run into people and I'll think I'm meeting them for the first time but to my surprise they'll say "I have your art hanging in my bedroom".... which makes me feel like a complete ass for not remembering them. Even worse they describe the piece and I don't remember it either.





Please make sure to check out his work in full! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment