Art Libs on Twitter

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Melissa DeJesus

Melissa DeJesus is known for her work with cats. Melissa first started drawing when she was only 6 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the wet pressure of being a child prodigy sadly got to her and she had a blue breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own spleen! Melissa found beautiful inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her kitchen for all the buildings to see! Melissa eventually got married to Martha Jones and they remain together quickly in their doghouse with their 11 children. Melissa would like to thank Amelia Earhart, Madonna and Michelangelo for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
It goes back and forth. Sometimes I can come up with a string of ideas and I can't get myself to illustrate them or develop them into a comic, and sometimes I sit there with a pencil and paper and no idea what I want to draw.
When it comes to work, the hardest part is having the discipline to sit down and just work. It's easy to get distracted.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
I don't have one particular piece of art that is my favorite but I do have a series of illustrations I did when I was in still in school that i still love. It was a time when I felt most free with my art and after several years still look back at them and not want to change a thing.

What do you think the importance is of online art communities for relatively unknown artists, or even well-known artists?
Art communities are just as important to unknown artists as they are to well known artists. Belonging to a community of artist really help the individual grow. It gives them support, guidance and motivation to do better. I've known people who drew and give it up because they didn't know anyone else who drew. Even if there are no other artists around you, the online communities will always be there.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
A friend of mine was looking through my sketchbook while on a train ride during my High School years. A little old lady saw a picture of a female elf I drew and said, "What an interesting creature you have there!"





Please make sure to check out her web site and her blog! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment