Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, October 30, 2009

Eli Brumbaugh

Eli Brumbaugh is known for his work with assassins. Eli first started drawing when he was only 62 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the inadequate pressure of being a child prodigy sparingly got to him and he had a robust breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own nose! Eli found tragic inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his lavatory for all the monkeys to see! Eli eventually got married to a painter and they remain together peacefully in their submarine with their half child. Eli would like to thank Mr. Ed the talking horse, Babe Ruth and Lady Gaga for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I believe that the easiest part of the artistic process for me personally would be the coming up with the base idea and laying the ground work sketches right up until I ink a piece prior to working on it digitally. One of my favorite things about this period of production is watching a piece fade from pencil lines into nice crisp black lines. There’s something so very satisfying about it.

The hardest part of the artistic process that I have is something I still enjoy quite a bit but it would have to be my color choices. I experiment over and over with different palettes before I make my final choice.

Which is your favorite piece and why?
My favorite piece so far would have to be the poster I created for the band Of Montreal. It was for them when they played the Free Press Houston Summer Fest here in Houston, TX. There are a few different reasons why. The first reason being it was a great experience to being designing a poster for a band I enjoyed so much and was quite well known. The second reason being this was my first screen print which gave an entire new meaning to holding the final product in your hands and feeling that texture.

What do you feel is the significance of online communities to inspiring artists?
Online communities are something every artist should frequent for professional advice and critique. There is a sea of professionals who will give you the advice you really need to hear if you just ask them too.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
One of my favorite things to do at my own group art shows because people don’t always know quite whose work was made by which artist is to go up to someone who is looking at one of my pieces and just stand there next to them and say “I don’t get it.” The best part is when they agree with you. Everyone is a critic and you’ll always by far be your worst so learn to laugh about it. Take your work seriously but never so much that it blinds you to the insight of others.





Please make sure to check out his web site! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment