Art Libs on Twitter

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Otherwise

Otherwise is known for her work with candies. Otherwise first started drawing when she was only 35 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the traditional pressure of being a child prodigy candidly got to her and she had an avid breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own ear! Otherwise found single inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her den for all the koi fish to see! Otherwise eventually got married to a crucifix and they remain together swimmingly in their bathhouse with their 19 children. Otherwise would like to thank Jesus, Albus Dumbledore and the snails for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The hardest part is getting the foundations down, getting a good concept and silhouette and whatnot. Thinking conceptually for my own projects is really hard, because for me that's not the main draw of the thing--I have a really strong devotion to a small clan of characters and story worlds that I'd really like to do justice to. My first thought is usually, "What could I do to let Dr. Jekyll do something really cool?" and not, "How could I compose Haruki in this picture so as to avoid tangents?" But those basic foundations are really important . . . inevitably I get impatient and rush things and try to fix them later. That never happens!
Easiest is probably working on detail when you have a really strong foundation. Then it's just silly mindless self indulgence.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
I'm pretty fond of this one image in my recent dump of Jekyll and Hyde art. It's a simple Hyde portrait on a red background, with him peering at you from the side. Right now I'm really fond of it because I have a particularly bad time staging characters who are basically sticks. I end up drawing them limp and scribbly and ucky, but on occasion I can imbue actual life into them!

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
Well, it's easy to upload there and it's easy to check up on artists on my watchlist..... XD There are also a few friends there I'm fond of keeping in touch with. I'm not terribly good at the whole "community of art" thing, though.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
At one of the school showings of my short "The Thirsty Gargoyle", I got: "It's a good thing your film came after all these dark films. There was just too much dark shit. It's nice to have some milk to mix in too." From a famous man in a kilt. It's not the weirdest comment, but it was the most recent odd one I've gotten. I'm still not entirely sure it was a compliment.





Please make sure to check out her deviantART page! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment