Art Libs on Twitter

Thursday, June 18, 2009

WonderDookie

Dan Barrett is known for his work with moose. Dan first started drawing when he was only 19 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the tropical pressure of being a child prodigy timidly got to him and he had a radical breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own pinky toe! Dan found thick inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his broom closet for all the sippy cups to see! Dan eventually got married to a mustache and they remain together backwards in their greenhouse with their 81 children. Dan would like to thank Niccolo Machiavelli, Jim Henson and the otter for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
The easiest part for me is coming up with concepts to draw. I haven't had artist's block in more than a year. Subsequently my biggest difficulty is finding the time to draw out my ideas. A lot of my concepts end up lost. When I don't have time for an idea I write them down on scraps of paper, only to find them months later in totally indecipherable shorthand; "Botox woman". I also have a hard time sticking with one subject or illustrative style for very long. I get bored with them, so I don't have many "series", which seem to be important for artists.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
Probably my 'Hawai'ian Scene' cardstock cut-out. I joke around that I've invented a new illustrative genre called "traditional media cell shading". It felt like a culmination of years of working with Flash. Like I was working in a more legitimate vector style.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
Originally I was drawn to the deviantART community because I had a lot of illustrations that were going unseen by anyone other than my friends and family. I stuck with it because I made a few valuable acquaintances/friendships. When I get annoyed with the banality of the site, they are always there with a helpful comment or observation that keeps me shackled to devART.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
The barrage of comments that I got on the 'Beastiary Enormousica' comparing my illustrations of legendary and mythological beasts to Pokemon and Harry Potter. But I guess that's mostly funny in a manic, "I fear for the youth of the world," kind of way.





Please make sure to visit his deviantART page! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment