Art Libs on Twitter

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Steeringfornorth

Cate is known for her work with typewriters. Cate first started painting when she was only 7 years old, making her a child prodigy. However, the fascinating pressure of being a child prodigy rapidly got to her and she had a dramatic breakdown, resulting in her cutting off her own finger! Cate found delightful inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in her kitchen for all the opera singers to see! Cate eventually got married to a zebra and they remain together boldly in their shed with their 53 children. Cate would like to thank Virgina Woolf, Harpo Marx and the llamas for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I think for me, the easiest part is finding the inspiration for drawings - there's *so* many stories I want to illustrate, and characters I'd like to get down on paper - not to mention films, novels and fellow artists who act as a constant stream of glorious inspiration. The hardest part is not having as much time as I'd like to be able to draw them all :-)

Which is your favourite piece and why?
That's a really tough one. And it changes all the time! At the moment I'd have to say 'Jake and the Thuringian Queen' - partly as I'm a big Heath Ledger and Terry Gilliam fan - so it was a delight to work on - and partly as this particular piece really pushed me, technically. I'd already worked a little with silhouettes, but this time I knew I wanted to draw something much more detailed and intricate, and explore ways of representing cobwebs and hair and to (hopefully) convey some of the sense of dust and decay and age that Gilliam captured so beautifully in the film. It really made me re-think the way silhouettes and lines could be used, and opened up a new way of working for me.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
I think the sheer range of incredibly varied and hugely talented artists who share their work on D.A, the sense of mutual support and appreciation and respect the artists have for each other's work. And the wonderful people you come into contact with - shortly after I first joined, i got chatting to a fellow artist about photography - and then onto discussing nature and spirituality - she's now become one of my dearest friends. Its a lovely community.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
I'm afraid I haven't actually had anything weird or amusing! All the comments I've received have been warm and respectful and very kind.
Although I did have a chat recently with a DA friend (via comments on an Easter-related photo) about the merits of egg-rolling. Hard boil 'em first. Very important





Make sure you visit her deviantART page! And as always, remember to respect the art and the artists! The art on this blog is here because we were given permission to put it on here. If you like the art and would like to use it for your own blog or web site, you must ask permission from the artist first and none of the art is to be taken, stolen or reproduced! Respect the art!

2 comments:

  1. love the blog! love the art!

    Todd
    http://toddgourley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete