Art Libs on Twitter

Friday, April 24, 2009

Homarusrex

Nicholas Kole is best known for his work with forks. Nick first started painting when he was only 38 years old, making him a child prodigy. However, the dainty pressures of being a child prodigy ardently got to him and he had a high-fructose breakdown, resulting in him cutting off his own septum! Nick found pubescent inspiration from the lost limb and decided to frame it and hang it in his outhouse, for all the moogles to see! Nick eventually got married to a forklift and they remain together forcefully in their treehouse with their 14 children. Nick would like to thank Walt Disney, the Juggernaut and the Bornean White-Bearded Gibbons for their constant support and inspiration.

What are the easiest and the hardest parts of the artistic process?
I would say the hardest part of the process is trying to find ways to challenge yourself...to make sure that you're generating ideas and concepts that will stretch your abilities as an artist. We all have those things that we tend to avoid...buildings, tricky perspective, feet. Just sucking it up and doing them is tricky. There are some things I'm just terrified of and would rather avoid. But that's no good...because it's always those things that are so scary to me, that are so important and look so good when they're pulled off correctly.
The easiest part, for me, is the design and lineart phase. I just get to play. When designing and thinking of ideas I can just be loose and silly and it doesn't have to look good or even be comprehensible to anyone else, because I'm just sort of talking to myself. I love lines and I've been practicing since I was very young...I was never much of a painter/colorist before college, so that actually comes harder (but is very rewarding when it works). But a good page of inks is so satisfying.

Which is your favourite piece and why?
This changes so fast for me...it's usually always among my most recent but today I'm torn between the 'Generous Bubblewhale' and my main character design for 'Kojo: Monster Puncher'. Kojo, because hammering out characters really came together for me there...people just get it when they see it. And the Bubblewhale because it's a combination of a lot of things that I just really like. I remember I had recently seen some live Beluga whales at the aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut...they're AMAZING! So bizarre looking. It's always so much easier to work when you're inspired and have a real idea of what the outcome should be.

What is it about the deviantART community that makes you share your art there… that draws you to the deviantART community?
It's fun! Doing all the work is great on it's own, but it's so much more satisfying when it finds an audience. I love hearing from people, and being able to share work with them. It's also awesome because I get to see what everyone else is working on and even if we're continents apart we can still have influence and input on each others' work.

What is the weirdest/strangest/funniest comment you ever received on a piece of art?
Ha! I'm not sure if this counts, but my weirdest deviantart experience was when I uploaded a photo of myself as an ID. I got the strangest note from a guy somewhere in Europe who was asking how I took care of my beard and how he could grow and maintain a similarly styled beard. It was amazing! I remember, I wrote him a very thorough email in return, detailing my process. I love the Internet.






Please make sure to check out more of his art at his deviantART page or his very own blog! And as always, ask permission from the artist if you would like to use any of these pieces for anything! RESPECT the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment